services were first conducted in South Norwalk in 1874 by
Rev. Heinrich Steup. The congregation was served by
various missionary pastors until 1909 when the Rev. Martin
Steup was installed as full time pastor. On September 17,
1911, the congregation was formally organized as St.
Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church.
was purchased on Cedar Street the following year and
dedication ceremonies for the new church building took
place in 1913.
Pastor Steup's acceptance of a call, Pastor Wenzel was
installed in July, 1922 and in September conducted the
first English service.
1948, St. Peter's became a full-fledged member of the
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. It was also at this time
when the State of Connecticut informed the congregation
that the Connecticut Turnpike would absorb the entire
church property. The final service at the Cedar Street
church was conducted on Easter Sunday, 1956.
cornerstone of our present church was laid on May 6,1956
with Dr. Oswald Hoffman, International Lutheran Hour
speaker, giving the address. The congregation bid farewell
to Pastor Wenzel after 37 years of service to St. Peter,
and installed Rev. John Gall in 1959.
Peter's first assisting pastor, Rev. Edward Merkel, was
installed on January 13, 1963. Two years later, the second
parsonage was purchased and the undercroft was renovated
for classroom use. Pastor Gall's acceptance of a call to
Massachusetts in 1966 was followed by a five month
vacancy, and the installation of Rev. Oscar Milke. St.
Peter bid Assistant Pastor Merkel a loving farewell as he
retired from the pastoral ministry in 1974.
congregation welcomed the ministry of its first Vicar,
Gerry Mohr, in 1976. Pastor Milke retired in September
1978 preceding the installation of Pastor David Mulder in
December. In April, 1981 Pastor Mulder accepted a call to
Bristol, Connecticut and was later elected to serve as the
President of the New England District of the Lutheran
the congregation's longest vacancy, Rev. Danny Tutwiler
was installed in July, 1982. Under his guidance, the
congregation engaged the ministry of five vicars; Mark
Shudde, David Reimnitz, Michael Miller, Kenneth Krippner,
and Larry Nichols. St. Peter celebrated its 75th
anniversary in 1986, before saying goodbye to Pastor
Tutwiler who accepted a call to Illinois in November 1987.
once again blessed St. Peter as Rev. John W. Fiene was
installed on August 21, 1988. Pastor Fiene served St.
Peter for five years. He accepted a call to serve as a
mission pastor to Zionsville, Indiana, in October 1993.
a ten month vacancy in which services were conducted by
Charles Petit, St. Peter was again blessed with Rev.
Robert D. Beinke. Pastor Beinke was installed on August
28, 1994. The vicarage program was resumed and to date the
congregation has engaged the ministry of Vicars: John
Reynolds, Scott Simpson, Ralph Tausz, Mark Stirdivant, Jim
Rice, Chris Seifferlein, Gifford Grobien, John Melms and